Age, as most people would say “is just numbers”, but those numbers indeed accumulate to the amount of time we spend doing productive and valuable activities with our lives. The 20’s are indeed the best time to start laying foundations for your future goals. If you are in your twenties like me, be it early, mid or late; this is a time of your life characterised by independence and Decision Making. These decisions can actually make or mar your future. These years are indeed filled with hopes, possibilities and lots of risks, so I made up this list to keep you checked before you hit the BIG “30”.
Here is a list of the 30 things you should do before you turn 30;
- Live in/Visit another continent: You should travel the world in your 20’s. Living outside your home country is a priceless and memorable experience.
- Move out of your parent’s house: As a twenty something years old, you should learn to take responsibilities like paying bills and learning how to survive on your own.
- Acquire an Asset: You should at least own an asset that will appreciate, no matter how small before you turn 30. It could be 5 acres of land, shares, bonds etc.
- Save for the Rainy Day: Learn to cultivate the habit of depositing money in your bank account and leave it there. Earn, Save and then Spend.
- Stop holding grudges: Overlook people’s behaviour and have fun with your life. Life is too short to let a person live in your head without paying rent!
- Forgive your parents: Our parents brought us up the best way they knew how, and provided us with the best they had. Quit blaming and start creating the life you wanted.
- Take Risks: Say “YES” to most opportunities that come your way. If you win it’s a blessing, if you fail it’s a lesson.
- Eat Healthy: If you really want to look good in your forties, this is the best time to quit all the sugars and processed carbohydrates. Embrace fruits and veggies, or go Vegan if you can.
- Find your Life’s Call: Every one of us was created to solve a problem on earth; your twenties is a period to explore and discover what you were born to do. Do not clock 30 and keep complaining about your lousy Job or being unemployed! NO!!
- Get your degrees: There is nothing more fulfilling like getting your Bachelors, Masters or even PHD in your twenties because you will have more youthful energy to deal with the hassles of university life.
- Dislodge Toxic relationships: Any relationship that doesn’t make you money, make you better or make you happy should be thrown out of the window!
- Revisit you birth town: For those that experience nostalgia like me, I think its worthwhile visiting the home you grew up in. It can create fond memories of your wonderful childhood.
- Do something adventurous: Explore adventures like mountain climbing, skydiving or even visit a wildlife resort. Partaking in activities that scare you the most eliminates fear.
- Terminate a Bad Habit: Discover that habit that slows down your productivity and eliminate it for good. E.g. Analysis Paralysis, Emotional shopping, etc
- Adopt a Good habit: Embrace a new habit that can increase your success in life. E.g. waking up early, Saying your prayers daily etc.
- Throw a massive party: I think every youth should have at least one fancy and extravagant birthday bash before reaching the golden age.
- Join a Club or Association: Find and Connect with individuals that share the same interests in life with you. Quit feckless acquaintances.
- Win an Award, Trophy or Prize: Make your talents and gifts recognized in the world and get honoured for it. God didn’t deposit greatness in you to take it to your grave.
- Create a Work Out Regimen: Make time and effort to exercise. Create a routine for yourself, like jogging on weekends, exercising 3 hours a day etc. You will reap the benefits in the long run.
- Acquire Skills: Learn to be more versed in activities. These skills can be in form of a hobby or even as a part time source of income.
- Have a Mentor: Search for Achievers in your career and look up to them for motivation. This is one of the quickest ways to become a success figure.
- Trust Your Intuition: Learn to always trust your gut feelings because it conveys the truth 90 percent of the time.
- Go on Numerous Dates: To find the right partner, you have to go out and meet a lot of people and communicate with them. Dating your job will only increase your likelihood of being alone for a long time.
- Learn a Foreign Language: The ability to speak and communicate in a foreign language is a valuable asset, go and sign up for the German, Spanish or Chinese Class!!!
- Take Portraiture: This one sounds funny, but most people don’t have portraiture, get a professional photographer to make one for you, frame it up and put it on your dresser.
- Learn to Drive: I was not really convinced on this one, but I felt it is paramount for those that still have phobia for driving. You are not going to get chauffeured till your 60. Hit the road!
- Fall in Love: Lots of people will disagree with me on this one, but I believe it is the right time to unconditionally accept a person you will be spending the rest of your life with.
- Get Married: This is indeed another controversial goal considering the staggering number of singletons that have crossed the golden age. As a twenty something years old (especially ladies), make effort to get hitched before clocking 30.
- Have your First Child: This one is concurrent with the previous goal. Ladies, you should at least have your first baby before hitting 30.
- MAKE YOUR 40 THINGS TO DO BEFORE TURNING 40 LIST!
No one is ever too old to try out these goals, whether you are 30, 40 or even 50 years of age, you can still use this list to create a more fulfilling and exciting life for yourself. I tend to see myself as a “never too late” kind of person, and I believe that no matter where you are, you can start from there. Life is short and no one knows when their last day on this planet would be, so have fun and live life to the fullest!
Don’t forget to share these tips on other platforms by clicking on the icons below. Thank You!!!!
Photo credit: Photopin.com.